Sunday, June 20, 2010

Reflection on Today

Ok...so technically, today is my first fathers' day. While I can't yet hold my little bundle of joy, there is not doubt that life exists in Ann Dove right now. Already I have a strong sense of protection. Last week, someone caused Ann Dove some unnecessary stress in VA. Needless to say, Ann Dove had to keep me from showing my tail. She is carrying my child and is very sick at times, so obviously my protective mode is a bit elevated. It being my job to protect her (as promised when I married her), I will do whatever it takes to protect her and our future baby. As long as my wife is happy, I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

So I guess in my reflection of Father's Day, I have come to realize that being a father will never be my most important role in life. My most important role will always be being a husband to Ann Dove. You know, when our kid comes in the world, it's going to be an exciting and stressful time. We will love that child with all of our hearts. But one day, as happens by nature, our child will be gone. When that day comes, I don't want to look across the table at Ann Dove and say, "Who the heck are you, and what have you done with my kid?" LOL There is no more important union than that between a husband and wife. God intended this to be the MOST important role that mankind can play. If the husband and wife dynamic isn't where it should be, inevitably, the dominos will fall down to the rest of the family.

I don't tell you this to be preachy about anyone else's relationship, as I mean this as a challenge for myself. I want you to remember this post. When the day comes that God blesses us with a child, I want you to remind me of the things that I said. Hold me to it. If I get where I don't treat Ann Dove as the most important thing in the world, call me on it. Seriously. I won't get mad. In fact, I will appreciate you even more.

On another note, I want to recognize my mom today. Even though she is clearly not my father (kind of genetically impossible), she played a major role in my development as a man. She allowed me to grow up and learn to make my own decisions at an early age. She taught me to depend on God and myself to get by. There were times I wanted things from her, things I thought I needed, but she did not give them to me because she knew I needed to strap my boots and go get it myself. I appreciate that. She didn't hover over me and try to shield me from all the harms that the world could throw. She let me make my own decisions, and if there were consequences, she taught me to live up to them like a man. Mom, thanks for being who you are. You are special to me.

Also, special shout out to my father-in-law Don Wilson. Happy Fathers' Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment